- Dates: 500gm
- Tamarind : 100gm
- Jaggery : 100 gm ( 5-6)
- Ginger : a small piece
- Garlic : 5 to 6 nos
- Green chilies : 2 nos
- Kashmiri Red chili powder : 3 tbs
- Fenugreek seeds: 1/4 tbs
- Asafoetida : a small piece
- Curry leaves : 2 stems
- Oil(Sesame oil): 100gm
- Salt: as needed
- If you need you can clean the dates using water. Otherwise you can use as it is bought from market.
- Cut the dates into two pieces by removing the seeds.
- Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- In a bowl soak tarmarind with 1/2 cup water.
- Make jaggery syrup with 1 glass water(boil water and jaggery, make a thick syrup).
- In a pan pour 2 tbs of oil, once get hot add Asafoetida piece and fry it. once get fried add Fenugreek seeds into it. once fried the fenugreek seeds off the flame and allow the mixture to cool. Once get cooled Make the powder of this fried ingredients using a mixer. Keep it aside.
- Heat another 3 tbs of oil, once get heat,add curry leaves and prepared ginger-garlic-chili paste into it. Stir it well for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then add dates into the pan and saute it well for 5 minutes. Add 3 to 4 tbs of oil while stirring this mixture.
- After 5 minutes pour tarmarind mixture(filtered) and jaggery syrup into it.
- Mix all together well.
- Then add 1 tbs of salt. 2 kashmiri chili powder , Asafoetida and feenugreek powder.
- Cook this mixture until mixture start boiling.
- Then add 2 tbs vinegar. If you don’t prefer you can avoid this. If you want to store the pickle for long time, it is better to add vinegar.
- Off the flame and allow to cool
In a bottle ( made of glass) pour the pickle and cover using air tight lid. Careful when serving the pickle, make sure to use dry spoon(avoid wet spoon).