- Fish : 250gm
- Biriyani rice ( kayama or kola) : 500gm
- Ghee: 100gm
- Onion:4 medium sized ( slice into fine pieces)
- Tomato : 4 medium sized ( slice into fine pieces)
- Garlic: 1 no.s ( chopped into fine pieces)
- Ginger: 3 medium size pieces ( chopped into fine pieces)
- Green chilies:6 numbers
- Turmeric powder: 1 tablespoon
- Chili powder: 1 table spoon
- Pepper powder: 1 tablespoon
- Biriyani powder (garam masala Powder):2 table spoon
- Curry leaves: 4 to 5 stems
- Chopped coriander leaves and Mint leaves (Putheena)
- Lemon juice: 1 full lemon juice, also we can use vinegar
- Curd: 2 to 3 tablespoon
- Sunflower oil: 3 to 4 tablespoon
- Cashew, Raisin : fry it in ghee.
- 1 sliced onion, fry it in ghee for adding into rice
You can also use basmati rice instead of biryani rice, it may take less time to cook than other rice.
Rice: soak in water for 20 to 25 minutes and wash it 3 or 4 times . Drain off the water completely. In cooker add 3 or 4 table spoon of ghee, pour water into it. Add the rice into it and stir it well. Then add 1 tablespoon of salt. once boiled, close the cooker and put the weight. after 10 minutes ( don’t allow for whistle) switch off the flame and set aside( don’t open it now).
Clean the fish and keep it aside for frying.
To fry the fish , add 1 tbs of salt, 2 tbs chili powder, 1 tbs turmeric powder and required water. Mix all together well and keep it aside for 30 minutes, Then shallow fry it in oil. Keep it aside for masala making.
In a mixer grind garlic, ginger, green chili, and 1 stem of curry leaves.
In a heavy bottom pan(a pressure cooker or a heavy bottom pot) add 2 tablespoon of oil and 2 table spoon ghee, once hot add the ginger garlic paste that we have prepared. Once become fried add chopped onion into it, stir it well until onions become golden brown color. You can add salt to fry the onion easily. Then add chopped tomatoes into it. Stir it well. Then add 1 tbs garam masala powder, 1 tbs turmeric powder, 1 tbs chili powder, curd, 1 lemon juice, 1/2 tbs pepper and salt(as needed). Stir it well .
After 2 minutes add the fried fish into this. No need to stirring, Just put the masala above the fish from sides.
Add some mint-coriander leaves on it.
After 2 minutes, put a banana leaf above it( so rice and masala will not get mixed, you can use aluminium foil instead of leaf, need to make small holes in the aluminium foil). Then add one layer of rice( you can use 1/4 of rice in one layer), above this add fried onion, fried cashews raisin and pinch of garam masala. Then add another layer of rice, add fried onion, cashews, raisin and pinch of garam masala. You can make 3 or 4 layer of rice. On the top layer pour 2 tbsp of ghee. Cover the pan with a plate. cook the biriyani for 10 minutes in low flame.
Then off the flame and set aside for 25 to 30 minutes. Then open the pan, Either you can separate the rice and masala or mix all together.
Serve it into a plate.