Clams meat is known as Kakka Or Erunth (northern side) in kerala. clams are shell fish with lots of nutritious.
Here we get cleaned clams meats itself, if you are buying with shells, steam it for 20-25 minutes. clam will open its shell, then turn off the flame, allow to cool. Once it cooled , then remove its shell and black colored part of meat(press this side with two fingers , then this black part will come out), After that wash with water two three times.
Here kakka thoran preparing with grated coconut.
- Clam meats: 200 gm kakka(1 small bowl)
- Coconut: 1/4 to 1/2 coconut
- Onion: 1 big size or 2 small (chopped) or you can use shallots
- Ginger: 1 small piece (to make 1 tbs paste)
- Garlic cloves: 5-6 nos
- Red chili powder – 2 tbs
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tbs
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tbs
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tbs
- Mustard – 1/2 tbs
- Dried Red chilies – 2 nos
- Curry leaves: 2 stems
Clean clams well.
Roast red chili powder and coriander powder in a pan for 2-3 minutes. once its raw taste gone off the flame.
In a mixer crush the coconut with ginger , garlic, turmeric powder , roasted chili and coriander powder. No need to make a paste, we need a coarse mixture.
Making Kakka irachi thoran:
- In a pan add 4-5 tbs of oil.
- Splutter mustard, add dried red chilies and curry leaves.
- Add slit green chilies and chopped onion .
- Add 1/2 tbs of salt and saute well
- Saute well, take care of burning.
- Once its color start change add clam meats and mix well.
- Close the pan with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- After 3-4 minutes open the lid and give a mix.
- Add coconut mixture into it and saute well.
- Then close the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- In between open the lid and give a stir.
Super easy healthy and tasty kakka irachi thoran ready to serve..