Trivandrum style fish curry very easy to prepare and its very tasty too..
You can use any type of fish to make curry.
Here i am sharing the recipe of netholi fish curry, netholi fish is Anchovies , known as nethal, kozhuva in different sides of kerala.
In this style fish curry we are using coconut paste and tamarind or Kokum mainly. For some kind of fishes, especially small kind of fishes we used to add Drumstick or raw mangoes.
In kozhuva curry we are using both drumstick, mangoes(or tomato) and tamarind itself(not kokum).
Here is the recipe
- Anchovies Fish : 250 gm ( any type of fish)
- Tamarind: small gooseberry size( no need of much tamarind )
- Drumstick : 1 (Cut into equal sized pieces )
- Raw Mango pieces : 3 to 4 nos ( Slice into pieces )
- shallots : 3 +1 nos (1 for
- Grated Coconut: 1/4 coconut to 1/2 coconut grated
- Green chilies: 2 nos (sliced)
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tbs
- Red chili powder: 3 tbs
- coriander powder: 1 tbs
- Salt: as required( 1 to 1 and 1/2 tbs)
- Oil: as required
- Mustard seeds : 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 4 to 5 stems
- Dried Red chilies :2 -3 nos
Clean the fish , remove head and tail. Clean with salt.
Making coconut paste:
Soak tamarind in a /4 glass of water for 10 minutes, then mix it well with hand . Take the pulp.
In a mixer add grated coconut , add shallots, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and tamarind pulp. Grind it well, make a very smooth thick paste with required water.
Coconut paste is ready.
- In a fish pot (meen chatti) pour this coconut mixture , add required salt and mix it well
- Into this add drumstick pieces, mangoes and slit green chilies
- Add cleaned fish now
- Cook for 15-20 minutes till the fish cook well.
- Also check the consistency of the gravy , it should be in thick consistency.
- After 10 minutes lower the flame and cook the curry, cook till thick consistency.
- add required salt if salt is not enough
- Off the flame once gravy become thick
- In a pan heat oil, splutter mustard, then add red chilies , shallots pieces and curry leaves, roast well and pour into fish curry.
Fish Curry Ready to serve. Serve with kappa, chakka or rice..