Chakka Erissery / Chakka Curry
Jackfruit is known as super food. Every part of jack-fruit is edible. Raw jackfruit is rich source of fiber and other vitamins.
Here in kerala we used to make different curries with raw jackfruit. Jackfruit errissery is very common here with rice or as it is. Errissery means cook the raw jackfruit with coconut paste. Here is the detailed recipe:
- Raw Jackfruit or Chakka :20-25 pieces
- Grated Coconut : 1/4 coconut
- Garlic: 5 cloves
- Green Chili : 1 or 2
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tbs
- Cumin Seeds : 1 teaspoon
- Mustard : 1 tbs
- Dried Red Chilies : 2-3 nos
- Curry leaves : 2 stems
- salt: as required
- Water : as required
- Cut the Jackfruit and take the pieces (it is bit difficult process)
- Wash the jackfruit pieces
- Take both seeds and raw jackfruit pieces
- Cook the jackfruit pieces in a vessel along with 1/2 to 3/4 tbs of salt, and required water(1 glass, but not above the jack-fruit quantity). you can cook in pressure cooker also, if so allow for 3 whistles.
- Allow pressure cooker to cool completely
- Then open the lid and mash it properly (Erissery form), as seen in photo
- In a grinder(Mixer) grind coconut, turmeric, garlic and cumin seeds for 3,4 pulses(no need to make fine paste).
- Into the cooked jack fruit add this coconut mixture and mix it well.
- cook for 3-4 minutes and off the flame.
In a pan heat oil , splutter the mustard, then add dried red chilies and curry leaves , once it start turn color off the flame and pour into prepared erisseery.
One special tip: 1 tbs grated coconut into pan while tadka, it will be very tasty. Roast the coconut also along with curry leaves and add into prepared erissery.
Mouth Watering erissery ready to serve, Serve with spicy fish curry or chicken curry.